Deadline for applications: 15 October 2022
The European Journal of Theatre and Performance (EJTP) is an international peer-reviewed journal published by the European Association for the Study of Theatre and Performance (EASTAP). EJTP aims to stimulate a close dialogue between theory and practice, as well as between theatre and performance scholars and artists across Europe and beyond. Valuing the importance of local practices and scholarly traditions, EJTP wants to question global tendencies and to promote productive crossovers between either geographical or disciplinary boundaries instead. Taking Europe as its starting point, EJTP welcomes a variety of practices, methodologies, and theoretical approaches, from both historical and contemporary perspectives, in order to broaden the purview of the adjacent fields of theatre, performance, and dance studies.
The first issue of the European Journal for Theatre and Performance was launched in January 2019. Up until now four issues have been published. From the fall of 2022 onwards, EJTP will be published twice a year.
EJTP is currently offering an unpaid internship for assistance with various aspects of the editorial process and organizational tasks related to running an academic journal. The intern will work mainly with EJTP’s Associate and Managing Editors, but will also be involved in the activities of the entire editorial team. The internship can be completed from any location, if reliable internet access is secured. The internship preferably runs from 1 November 2022 to the end of June 2023, but the exact starting and ending dates can be discussed according to availability. This is not a full-time internship: working hours are flexible and will amount to 1 working day per week, apart from slightly busier periods close to publication dates.
The internship includes the following tasks:
• You assist with the editorial process (e.g., preparing article manuscripts for proofreading; organizing files and materials for the graphic designer; etc.).
• You attend editorial meetings and draft meeting reports.
• You assist with managing editorial tasks (e.g., sending out requests for copyright clearance of images; taking care of author agreements; etc.).
• You contribute to increasing the distribution of the journal (e.g., actively pursuing subscriptions by academic libraries and other parties; looking for promotional opportunities; etc.).
• You assist with maintaining the journal’s website and social media (e.g., writing news posts; collecting changes and updates; etc.).
• You provide support with the ongoing professionalization of the journal (e.g., streamlining of workflows; contact with academic publishers; etc.).
Profile and Skills
• You are an MA or PhD student in one or more of the following fields: Theatre Studies, Performance Studies, Dance Studies.
• You have a strong interest in the functioning of an international performing arts journal.
• You have an outstanding command of English (working knowledge of French is a plus).
• You have attention to detail and excellent written and oral communication skills.
• You have technical knowledge of basic software systems.
• You like to work in a team, but you are also proactive and autonomous in taking up certain tasks.
• EJTP is committed to diversity and inclusion. Anyone with the appropriate skills is welcome to apply.
What we offer
• You become part of a dynamic editorial team with a large international scope.
• You acquire experience in the editorial and organizational activities related to running an academic journal.
• You become acquainted with the different steps of academic journal publishing, from the submission of abstracts and first drafts to the publication of final articles.
• You gain direct insight into recent research within theatre, performance, and dance studies from various regions within and beyond Europe.
• You will have your own set of responsibilities and space for own initiatives.
• You will have flexible working hours: internship tasks and deadlines are discussed together with the journal’s Associate Editor and Managing Editor.
Please send a cover letter (including a statement why you are a suitable candidate for this internship and the reasons why you are interested) as well as your CV to:
• Timmy De Laet (EJTP Associate Editor): email@example.com
• Pieter Verstraete (EJTP Managing Editor): firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 15 October 2022